In 1912, a small group of people met under a tent on the grounds of the Texas Baptist Orphanage, (today know as the Texas Baptist Home for Children) located on Farley Street, for the purpose of organizing a Missionary Baptist Church. In March, 1913, six charter members were on hand for the organization of the Marvin Street Baptist Church with the first pastor being Reverend W.J. Johnson.

In November 1913, the small congregation purchased two lots at 111 Farley Street for $300 and a year later moved a building onto the property. The church adopted the name Farley Street Baptist Church. One year later, the church bought the building in which they were meeting on Marvin Street and moved it to the Farley Street lots. In February 1914, an addition was built making the bulding 40 square feet. In 1917, the church added an auditorium  at a cost of $645. The church built a new brick sanctuary  in 1944 which served as the place for worship until 1962.

During the past 100 years, the following 17 men have served as pastor from the church’s beginning in 1913:

  • W.J. Johnson 1913-1914
  • J.V. Goble 1914
  • J.O. Hearne 1914-1917
  • W.C. Newburn 1917-1919
  • J.O. Hearne 1919-1922
  • G.C. Lewis 1922
  • W.H. Perry 1922-1923
  • O.L. McCollum 1923-1927
  • J.F. McClung 1927
  • Zack Corbin 1927-1931
  • C.R. Meadows 1931-1933
  • J.W. Harper 1934
  • T.C. Jenkins 1934-1937
  • H.B. Carpenter 1938-1940
  • L.H. Raney 1941-1966
  • Jack McDaniel 1966-1988
  • Kirk Shelton 1989-1992
  • Richard Smith 1993- Present

Over the years there have been several other additions to the building including a two-story education building.

In 2006, an offer was made by another church to purchase the Farley Street campus for $1 million. Due to the sudden and unexpected offer, it became necessary to find a temporary space for the church to worship.

Michael Brown, founder and CEO of SkillsNet Corporation, offered to rent out his 69,000 square foot office buidling located on North Highway 77. The facility had more than adequate space for sunday school, offices, and a half gym that served as a worship center. The church had to go to three services to accommodate the growing congreagation. During the two year stay at SkillsNet the church saw over 150 additions. 

The first services were held in Phase 1 of the new facility on Brown Street in November 2008. The new facility was completed in 2013 with the addition of a 1200 seat worship center, staff offices, and classrooms for adult education. Phase one has since been dedicated to Childrens Ministry, Student Ministry, rectration, and fellowship.

 

We look forward to how we will continue to grow with God’s blessing.